How to load Active@ Boot Disk over the network via PXE environment?
There are several steps required, configuring WinPE WIM, Boot Manager and PXE Server.
For the configuration steps, let's assume that inserted Active@ Boot Disk has a D: letter in our configuration environment.
Step 1: Copy WinPE Source Files onto PXE Server
- Map a network connection to the root TFTP directory on the PXE/TFTP server and create there a \Boot folder
- Copy the Boot.sdi file from D:\Boot folder of Active@ Boot Disk to the \Boot folder on PXE/TFTP server
- Copy the bootable Windows PE image (D:\ Sources\Boot.wim) to the \Boot folder on PXE/TFTP server
Step 2: Configure boot configuration
- On a Windows® 7 computer or in a Windows PE environment, create a BCD store by using the BCDEdit tool
- Create the RAMDISK setting, BOOTMGR and OSLoader settings for the Windows PE image
- Copy the BCD file to the \Boot folder on PXE/TFTP server
- Configure your PXE/TFTP server to point PXE clients to download Wdsnbp.com
Step 3: Deployment process
- A client is directed (by using DHCP Options or the PXE Server response) to download Wdsnbp.com
- Wdsnbp.com validates the DHCP/PXE response packet and proceeds to download PXEBoot.com
- PXEBoot.com downloads Bootmgr.exe and the BCD store. The BCD store must reside in a \Boot directory in the TFTP root folder. Additionally, the BCD store must be called BCD
- Bootmgr.exe reads the BCD operating system entries and downloads Boot.sdi and the Windows PE image
- Bootmgr.exe begins booting Windows PE by running Winload.exe within the Windows PE image
For more detailed instructions, read Microsoft TechNet official documentation
We are using a WinPE environment that is booted into via PXE from a Windows Deployment Server. I am wondering if there is a way for us to copy registry information and files into the WIM file that we boot from so the applications are already installed and registered? Or will I need to script the installation and registration to occur each time we boot into WinPE?
Click here: General Sales & Customer Support Questions
- How can I get an update to the latest version of Active@ Disk Image?
- May I try the software before purchasing it?
- What is the difference between an "update" and an "upgrade"?
- How do I register my copy of the software?
- May I use a purchased copy of the software on a second computer?
- I have lost the CD-Key/Serial number for the software, what should I do?
- Do you charge sales/VAT tax?
- I have a sales question. How do I contact you?
- What are your phone sales hours?
- How are my products shipped?
- What kind of payment methods do you accept?
- We would like to place a Purchase Order? Is this possible?
- Where do I get technical support for my product after purchase?
Click here: Technical Questions
- Does Active@ Disk Image support Windows 2003 Server/SBS (Small Business Server)?
- How do I make a bootable Rescue CD?
- Is the Windows Vista Operating System supported?
- Can a Backup Disk Image be restored to a disk using another size rather than its original size?
- Can multiple PC disks or partitions be imaged at once?
- How can I know that an image was created successfully and contains data?
- Does Disk Image support automated disk imaging?
- Is it possible to restore selected files from the Backup Disk Image?
- Is it possible to restore selected files from the RAW Disk Image?
- Can a Disk Image be saved or restore from Network share?
- Can a Disk Image be written to CD/DVD or USB hard drive?
- I started the Rescue CD and need to restore an image from a CD/DVD. How can that be done?
- Does Active@ Disk Image work under Windows 98 or Windows 2000?
- Why do I get the error message "The file is not the last file of multi-file archive. . . " when I try to open an image file?
- What does it mean when I get the error message: ". . . call has failed. HRESULT = . . . " ?
- Why do I get a message that a drive cannot be locked while creating an image?
- I have deleted my system partition and I want to restore an image that I made earlier. I've had trouble with other backup programs not being able to restore an image completely and it won't boot.
- How "Number of previous backups to keep" feature is implemented?
- Is it possible to store an image to a bootable USB memory stick?
- When attempting to create an image, the following error appears: VSS_E_MAXIMUM_NUMBER